The beloved potato are you a sweet or savoury fan? They both are bomb if you ask me. As much I love the normal ole white potato sometimes you just want some added sweetness with your dinner. Roll on in sweet potato sass up your dinner and trust me hunni these vegetarian stuffed sweet potatoes will sass up your dinner.
These stuffed pouches of joy take about 30 minutes to whip up and they're so simple you could easily make them drunk(trust me hunni I've done it). Perfect for an easy weekend lunch or an uber easy dinner.
This recipe doesn't require much effort from you hunni, and it's full of lots of good stuff so it's a win-win.
Did you know Sweet potatoes are full of beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium, they're also high in fibre and we all know what fibre is good for, gotta stay regular hunni.
How to stuff dat potato...
For this recipe you'll need less than 10 ingredients and they can easily be mix mashed for alternative veggies if your unable to grab something.
To make you'll need to pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork (this is important don't want splattered sweet potato all over yah microwave). We cook the potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes, however, if you don't have a microwave no stress hunni chuck them in the oven for 25 minutes. Just take note if you cook the tatters in the oven it will take longer than 30 minutes to make all up.
The tricky part is the slicing and the scooping. Once the potatoes are cooked let them sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting them so you don't get steam burn, trust me dat shit hurts. The slicing in half does require some finesse, try and get the half as equal as possible without ripping the skin.
When scooping out the flesh from the potato skins, use a small spoon which will give you more control over the scooping and you'll be less likely to rip the skin. Once you've got the flesh out leaving the skin intact you just combine the sweet potato with all the other shizzle and stuff it back into the skins. Top with some cheese and your all good to go just bake and let dat cheese get all melty and gooey.
How to mix it up...
These vegetarian stuffed sweet potatoes can easily be mixed up to cater for your flavour. Got some veggies in the fridge that need using up switch them in.
Not into the black beans no worries hunni sweetcorn would also work well or you can omit altogether and chuck in some extra broccoli instead. When using broccoli make sure to use ALL THE BROCCOLI INCLUDING THE STEM. The stem is totally edible and tastes as good as the florets.
If your vegan or dairy-free replace the cheese with vegan cheese or, omit altogether. You could top it with your favourite sauce, I recommend hot sauce you can't go wrong with hot sauce.
If you don't have any bocconcini lying around you could use cheddar cheese or whatever your favourite cheese is to grate on top.
How to Serve...
These delightful stuffed tatters can be served by themselves they are pretty filling.
If you'd like to jazz it up some more you could serve with a pimped up salad. As I've said before topping with lots of hot sauce is the way to go, bring the fire to yo meal.
Next time you've got some sweet potatoes lying around why not mix it up and stuff them with all the goodies.
Have some fun with it and most of all keep on cooking, good looking.
Much Love Char x
Vegeterian stuffed sweet potato skins
- 4 sweet potatoes medium sized
- ⅓ cup black beans from a can drained
- 1 cup brocoli florets
- 1 green capsicum small sized
- 1 jalapeno
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 lime juiced
- salt & pepper
- boccocini cheese optional
- Stab sweet pototoes along the front anf back and place in a microwave for 10 minutes.
- Whilst sweet potatoes are cooking dice up your veggies and mix together in a bowl with the black beans,paprika, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked let sit for 5 minutes then cut in half - watch for the steam it can be really hot. With a small spoon begin to scoop out the flesh of the sweet potato into the bowl with the other ingredients, leaving the skins intact.
- Mix the sweet potato and all other ingredients together, seasoning with extra salt and pepper if needed. Scoop the micture out and place back into the potato skins. Do this for each potato skin.
- When each skin is filled with the mixture top with bocconcini cheese and place in the oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- When cooked top with some cracked black pepper and your favourite hot sauce. Serve by itself or with a side salad. Pair with a session ale or a summer ale for a delicious light dinner.
- If you do not have a microwave you can cook the sweet potato in the oven please note that this will take longer than if prepping the sweet potato in the microwave.
- If you would like to make this vegan just omit the cheese or replace with your favourite vegan cheese.
- To keep the skins intact you will need to leave a small amount of the flesh when scooping out so that they keep their shape.
- If you would like your cheese to be more crunchy broil them under the grill for 5 minutes.