What do you do when you have stale bread lying around? Don’t chuck it out that’s the best bread to make your own breadcrumbs with.
Bread is one of the most thrown out foods globally.
In Australia, bread wastage represents a significant amount of food wastage and costs the economy $20 billion a year! THAT’S MENTAL!
Statistics in the UK show that 24 million slices of bread are thrown out daily. 24 MILLION! That is an incredibly large amount of bread been thrown out there.
The good news is there are ways you can reduce your bread wastage and one of the best ways is to make your own breadcrumbs. Don’t bother buying any use the resources you already have to make fantabulous breadcrumbs.
How to make breadcrumbs.
Making your own breadcrumbs or croutons is super simple and takes 30 minutes or less from start to finish. That’s less time than having to go to the supermarket to buy your own.
To make your homemade breadcrumbs all you need is a blitzer or food processer and an oven. Blitz your stale bread chunks in a blitzer until they turn into breadcrumbs. Spread the breadcrumbs over an oven tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until completely dried out and golden (not burnt). Toss through the baking to make sure they are evenly dried out.
How to make breadcrumbs without a food processor.
If you don't have a food processor no worries hunni you can still make fantastic breadcrumbs.
Break the bread up into small pieces, drizzle with some olive oil and coat all the pieces evenly, bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until completely dried out and golden (not burnt).
Once dried put into a zip lock bag or something similar and roll over them with a rolling pin or bash them into tiny pieces. Wallah breadcrumbs with not blitzer.
How to add extra seasoning.
Seasoning your breadcrumbs is easy just before you bake your breadcrumbs toss with whatever seasoning you would like to add. Some examples could be:
- Italian herbs
- Paprika and chilli flakes for something spicier
- Lemon zest and rosemary
- Curry powder
Whatever tickles your fancy. They are also amazing plain and so versatile to use in cooking.
How to store your dried breadcrumbs.
Make sure your breadcrumbs are completely dried out in the oven and cool completely before transferring into a container to store them.
How long will breadcrumbs last you ask?
Dried breadcrumbs should last in an airtight container for 3 months. Just ensure the container is completely dry before tipping in your breadcrumbs.
Dry moisture is what causes mould. As long as everything is dry and cool you should be good to go.
What to use your breadcrumbs with.
Breadcrumbs can be used in so many recipes.
They can be used to bread chicken, fish, vegetables whatever it is that you’re cooking. Use it as a topping on your mac and cheese or lasagne.
If you’re after some inspo, check out these recipes where you could use your homemade breadcrumbs.
The next time you’ve got stale bread lying around, don’t throw it out make yourself some homemade breadcrumbs! Reduce your food wastage one breadcrumb at a time.
Much Love Char.
- 6 slices stale bread (adapt to use whatever leftover bread you have)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt optional
- 1 pinch pepper optional
- preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- add slices of bread to a food processor and pulse until bread becomes crumbs. (if not using a food processor check recipe notes.
- Toss breadcrumbs with salt and pepper if using and olive oil. Spread evenly over a bakin tray
- Bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden and dry be careful not to burn them.
- Once completely dry let cool completely before transferring to airtight container. Dry breadcrumbs will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Option to freeze them to keep for longer.
- If you don't have a food processor brake up your slices into small pieces and bake the same way you would if they were breadcrumbs. Once golden and dry put into a zip lock bag or any bag and roll over with a rolling pin or crush with your palm.
- You could add any seasoning you would like to this recipe. Toss the bread in the oil and whatever seasoning your using before baking.
- If using frozen bread defrost first.