What up party people, today we’re coming at you with a comfort food classic! the good ole Lasagna. Who doesn’t love lasagna? if you don’t you crazy but hey if you try this one you might. This easy vegetarian lasagna has heaps of veggies in it and a hidden veggie too. Perfect to help you hit that 5 a day goal, because health.
You might think how does this lasagna differ from all the other lasagnas? that my friend is a good question on honestly I couldn’t tell yah but my mates confirmed it tastes boss so let that be the judge for yah. This vegetarian lasagne does have a trick up its sleeve, however? A trick you say, how so? well, it’s all in the sauce darling.
How to sauce..
The béchamel sauce for this lasagna has a wee trick up its sleeve, it’s got a hidden vegetable, can you guess what vegetable? Did you guess? who knows I certainly don’t. I’ll tell you anyways it’s… CAULIFLOWER. it’s not that exciting no idea why capped it but I’m rolling with it.
The sauce is vegan, yeah you heard that right vegan. Ever heard of nutritional yeast? yeah neither till all my vegan mates kept bashing on about it. Oddly enough it has this cheesy flavour to it which is crazy but it works so well.
I have added cheese into the sauce too and that works just as good hunny. So if you want that cheese hit but want sneak that extra veggie in then do it hunny. Add in that cheese.
The sauce takes about 15 minutes to make and it tastes so good!
How to lasagna..
Lasagnas are pretty easy to make and this one ain’t no different. I made my first lasagne when I was 15 I’m pretty sure it was my go-to when my mother made me cook. I say made but I enjoyed it.
This veggie mix for the ‘mince’ uses 5 different veggies, but they are easily interchangeable for what you got in the fridge. I use mushrooms but I know there are a few crazies out there who hate mushies, so yeah you people can omit or switch it up.
Once you’ve got your mince and your sauce all you gotta do is layer it up. I like to go lasagne sheets, veggies, sauce, cheese of choice I use feta cheese. and repeat. I top it with bread crumbs to give it that extra crisp.
Vego or vegan?
The only thing that makes this easy vegetarian lasagna not vegan is the feta cheese. If you want to use vegan feta instead go for it! it’s just good either way.
The sauce is vegan unless you add in cheese so again up to you hunny. You like it cheesy make it cheesy you like it vegan make it vegan.
Serve with roasted carrots or side salad and you’re done. if you’re like me and like a glass with your dinner I’d go for a pinot noir.
Mix it up as you feel and just keep cooking, good looking.
Easy Vegetarian lasagna.
- For the Lasagne:
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1/2 cup of chopped radishes
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsps of thyme
- 2 tbs of oregano
- Dash of soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Feta cheese/vegan feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs
- Lasagne sheets
- For the Sauce:
- 1 medium cauliflower head
- 1 cup of rice milk or any non dairy milk.
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsps of paprika powder
- 1 tbsps of mustard powder
- 1 tbsps of onion powder
- 1 tbsps of mustard powder
- 1 tbsps of mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Instructions to make lasagne:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
- Dice up the onion, garlic capsicum, zucchini, radishes, mushrooms and carrots.
- Chuck the onion and garlic in a pan with some olive oil and sauté for 5 minutes. Then chuck the rest of the chopped up veggies into the pan and let sauté for 10 minutes. Don’t forget to shake and stir those veggies.
- Whilst your veggie mix is cooking make the sauce – see below for how to.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, soy sauce, herbs and stir all together. Salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Start to layer up the lasagne. The order I like to go is lasagne sheets, veggie mince, sauce, feta cheese and repeat for another layer. Third Layer I just fo lasagne sheets, sauce, cheese and top with bread crumbs.
- Turn down your oven to 180 degrees and wap in the lasagne for 25 minutes or until the top is crispy and bubbly.
- Boom take that sauce lasagne out of the oven and serve with a side salad or some roasted veggies whatever yah want. If you’re after a wine pairing I’d go for a pinot noir.
- Instructions for the sauce:
- Roughly chop up the cauliflower and boil in a pan until you can stab a fork through the cauliflower. Roughly about 15 minutes.
- Add the Cauliflower to a nutribullet or food processor and blitz until smooth. Add in the 1 cup of non-dairy milk and blitz again.
- Pour the liquid back into the pan and add in the herbs, spices salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Wallah, use for the lasagne.
- This recipe can easily be made vegan, by using vegan feta cheese.
- To make gluten-free use GF pasta and GF bread crumbs
- This lasagna recipe is freezer proof, can be kept in the freezer for a couple of months or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.